'Our staff live in the community and see themselves as community members taking care of their friends and neighbors. We are not a large, impersonal city hospital where you are treated like a stranger. When you walk through the doors of our Emergency Department, you can expect rapid, attentive, personalized care.''Norm Chapin, M.D., Medical Director
The Columbia Memorial Hospital Emergency Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by emergency physicians, on-call physicians, physician assistants, registered nurses, and experienced patient care assistants. Last year our Emergency Department had 34,000 visits. This year we welcomed our new Chief of Emergency Medicine Craig Stanger, MD.
Our Department handles all emergency situations. Patients requiring a higher level of care or more specialized treatment at a trauma center, can receive the high-quality care and condition stabilization that they need at Columbia Memorial and then be transported to an appropriate trauma center.
The Emergency Department is located in the hospital's Kellner Wing, a spacious facility that allows us to see more patients. It has a pleasant waiting room with two televisions, adequate parking, separate walk-in and ambulance entrances and a central triage area where nurses can see who needs immediate attention. The department is located right next to our surgery suite, which can save critical time in life-threatening situations.
• Bedside registration. As part of our personalized care, we register patients at the bedside for convenience.
• EKG monitoring and other high tech diagnostic equipment for heart and lung patients.
• Psychiatric evaluations. We have a psychiatric evaluation area and two rooms designated specifically for psychiatric patients.
• A SANE Program. Our Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners are trained to provide compassionate, expert care for victims of sexual assault in Columbia and Greene Counties. We have been designated a SAFE Center of Excellence since 2006 and work closely with law enforcement and district attorney's offices to ensure successful prosecution of these cases.
• Prompt Care Unit. Our prompt care unit is open 10am-10pm. We have worked to reduce the patient's time in the emergency department by 40% this year. Patients with non-life-threatening problems are welcome to come in anytime and they will be seen by one of our providers.
• Visitors are welcome in the Emergency Department. We limit one visitor per patient. Exceptions will be made based on patient need.
• Please no food or drink in the Emergency Department.
• All visitors must check-in and receive a visitor's pass.